DANCER REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
About the 2022 Competition
Highland Dance at GMHG
The GMHG is excited to announce the return of the Atlantic International Open Championships for 2022 on Saturday. Competitive events will include Premier Pre-Championship, Intermediate Barracks Johnnie / Highland Laddie, and Solo Choreography (open to all levels) on Friday. Pre-Premier Highland dances on Saturday. Pre-Premier and Premier National dances on Sunday. A Special Jig Challenge for Intermediate and Premier on Sunday. We look forward to offering three exciting days of events July 8-10, 2022.
Friday July 8, 2022
(*Premier who has never won a Championship or Pre-Championship)
9:00 am - Registration (Staggered by age group/category)
9:30 am - Dancing begins (Please listen for your group’s call to the Marshalling area.)
There will be a break for Opening Ceremonies 11:00-11:30am
- Premier ST/HR 3/1
- INT HL - 4
- INT BJ - 4
- Choreography – Choreo music must be Celtic and not exceed posted times or will be disqualified.
- Solo - open to BEG/NOV and INT/Premier. Time limit – 2 min.
The Celtic music must be on a digital device with a wired connection or on a CD. Backups are recommended.
Saturday July 9, 2022
Atlantic International Championships | Primary and Intermediate HP Competition | Pre-Premier Highland Competition
8:00 am - Atlantic International Championship - Premier
- 2022 RSOBHD Championship Set Steps (for each dance steps must be danced in order).
- Championship groups must have a minimum of 6 competitors (dance) to be a valid Championship.
- 7 & Under 12 years - Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1, Seann Triubhas 3/1, Strathspey & Highland Reel
- 12 years and over - - Highland Fling 6 step, Sword Dance 3/1, Seann Triubhas 4/2, Strathspey & Highland Reel
11:00 am - Break for Opening Ceremonies
Intermediate HP and Primary Competition
- Intermediate: Hornpipe – 4 steps
- Primary: 16 Pas-de-Basque, Pas-de-Basque & Highcuts Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1
Premier and Primary Awards
Pre-Premier Highland Competition
- Beginners: Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1, Seann Triubhas 3/1
- Novice: Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1, Seann Triubhas 3/1
- Intermediate: Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1, Seann Triubhas 3/1
Pre- Premier Awards
Sunday July 10, 2022
Atlantic International Pre-Premier National Competition | Atlantic International Primary Competition | Atlantic International Premier and Intermediate JIG Competition | Atlantic International Premier HP / National Competition
8:00 am - Pre-Premier
- Beginner - Flora 4 step, Lilt 4 step
- Novice - Flora 4 step, Lilt 4 step
- Intermediate - Flora 4 step, Lilt 4 step
10:30 am - There will be a break for the Parade/Opening Ceremonies
Premier and Intermediate JIG (3&1 steps) Competition
All dancers must dance steps as listed in order:
- Intro - 3rd method
- 1st step
- 10th (4 beat side run)
- 5th (flap),
- Finishing step 1st (toe tap)
- No other requirements other than doing the steps in the order listed.
- Primary Competition
Primary - 16 Pas-de-Basque. Pas-de-Basque and Highcuts,
- Highland Fling 4 step, Sword Dance 2/1.
- Primary Awards
- Premier HP Competition
- Hornpipe - 4 steps (7 & under 12 years) / 5 steps (12 years & over)
Premier Nationals Competition
- Earl of Errol – 4 steps
- Scotch Measure- 4 steps
- Scottish Lilt - 4 steps
Highland Dance Registration
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INFORMATION
NEW IN 2022! Each person in your family/party (even children) will need to purchase a ticket to the GMHG. After registering for dance competition, you will receive an invoice from GMHG office to pay for the tickets not including included in dance registration.
- Competition dates: Friday, July 8, 2022 through Sunday, July 10, 2022
- Location: Lees MacRae Meadows - Grandfather Mountain - Linville, NC
- Online registration only at www.gmhg.org
- Online entries open at 10:00 am EST in February, 2022
- Online entries close at 11:59 pm EST on June 24, 2022
- Late entries are accepted via e-mail (DOUBLE ENTRY FEE) until July 1, 2022
- NO FIELD ENTRIES ACCEPTED / NO REFUNDS / ALL FEES MUST BE USD
- Friday: All dancers will be able to park in “any” lot at the Meadow on Friday. Please plan on arriving early.
- Sat & Sun: All dancers will receive a parking pass to park at the Meadow (good for SAT & SUN).
The Dancer/Family Viewing Area
- Located on the grass approximately from Stage 3 to stage 2, includes shade tents.
- Entrance to viewing area may be limited to current dancer/family POD.
- All spectators in the dancer viewing area must be pre-registered, complete a waiver and purchase a GMHG entry ticket(s)/day for each attendee (to enter the “restricted/controlled” dancer viewing area).
- There will be a defined space allocated and associated with each “Dancer/Family”. i.e. if the teacher is there with 3 dancer/families’ assignment would be continuous/congruous areas
PERSONAL TENTS ARE ONLY ALLOWED IN THE WOODS IN DESIGNATED AREAS. DO NOT BLOCK STAGES IN THE GROVE.
Rules & Regulations
- RSOBHD rules will govern all events and trophies.
- Dancers must be in the appropriate costume to receive awards.
- All dancers must show their 2022 registration card prior to dancing and to receive any awards.
- Proof of age must be provided if requested.
- Age applies as of July 8, 2022.
- Age groups will be determined or adjusted as needed by entries received by the due date.
- The adjudicator’s decision is final.
- Medals/ribbons and trophies will be awarded in all Pre-Premier sections except Primary where medals/ribbons only will be awarded
- Entries must be received on or before June 24th, 2022, OR FEES WILL BE INCREASED.
- No field entries will be accepted
- All fees must be in US Currency.
- NO REFUNDS
- Open to all dancers
COVID Rules and Regulations- General
- Guidance and protocols from governing organizations, such as the CDC, North Carolina Department of Health, RSOBHD and SDUSA will be used as the foundation of safety protocols for all events.
- Face masks will be required for all participants, spectators, and volunteers. Extra masks will be available.
- Plastic face shields are not considered face masks and may only be worn in conjunction with a mask.
- Social distancing reminders will be visible throughout Lees MacRae Meadow and hand sanitizing stations will be stationed throughout the area.
- Female, Male, and Family changing tents/space will be available.
- In accordance with ScotDance USA policies, dancers must not change costumes in public view. Dancers must arrive fully dressed and ready to dance.
- Anyone living with a house member who is currently sick, feels sick, or shows any symptoms of COVID-19 listed by the CDC, including cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell, has been diagnosed or presumed positive for COVID-19, or has been around someone who has been diagnosed or presumed positive for COVID-19, currently or within the last 14 days, must stay home. Follow the CDC guidelines for isolation or quarantine.
- Anyone that develops symptoms while at the competition must immediately inform a GMHG Competition Co-Chair and comply with the procedure of removal from the competition area. They must cooperate with SDUSA and make a list of all persons whom they have been in close contact with (the CDC defines close contact as being within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or more in a 24-hour period), including the 48-hour period before developing symptoms.
- Dancers, teachers, spectators, special guests and volunteers will monitor themselves for symptoms of COVID-19 listed by the CDC, including cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell, and check their own temperature each morning, both 7 days prior to attending competition and every morning before attending competition. If the person displays any COVID-19 symptoms or a temperature of over 100° Fahrenheit, during the 7 days before competition, they must remain home. If the person displays any COVID-19 symptoms or a temperature of over 100 Fahrenheit on any morning of competition, they must remain home or in their hotel room and report their symptoms and temperature to the appropriate competition contact.
- Anyone with pre-existing conditions/compromised immune system should speak with their doctor and get clearance from their doctor before attending the competition.
- All attendees (including teachers, competitors, spectators, special guests and volunteers) will be asked to monitor their own health prior to attending an event and follow the CDC guidelines for protecting themselves and others.
- Teachers will be asked to review these rules with their dancers, parents and anyone who is attending the event.
COVID Rules and Regulations- Dancers
- Dancers must arrive in costume, completed hair and make-up.
- SDUSA 2022 Combined Waiver will need to be signed upon arrival.
- Each Dancer must present a valid 2022 SDUSA registration card.
- Only one dancer may register at a time and must practice social distancing while waiting in line.
- The stage may be available for warm-up (social distancing/limits). Dancer warm-up may be in either the designated family space or socially distanced outside the event perimeter.
- Water will not be available; all dancers must provide their own water and snacks.
- Awards will be placed in individual bags with the dancer’s name and number and available for pickup at the awards table.
- Trophy winners may be awarded on stage.
- SDUSA may require all dancers at US competitions to wear face masks over their mouth and nose when they are not dancing on the competition stage.
- All dancers must wear their mask to the marshalling area.
- The dancer may remove their mask and place it in a paper bag (provided during registration) placed at the entrance to the competition platform or opt to compete wearing the mask, whichever is more comfortable for the dancer.
- Dancers must wear their mask over their mouth and nose when they exit the marshalling area.
- During all traditional Scottish Highland and National dances, masks must be a solid color. No embellishments including but not limited to words, writing, sequins, bells or other noise makers are allowed on the mask during competitions.
- If the dancer’s mask is deemed inappropriate, solid colored, single use masks will be available in the marshalling area.
- A dancer’s mask may be more elaborate during a choreography.
COVID Rules and Regulations - Spectators
- Spectators are defined as immediate family members of the same household for registered dancers, and ScotDance USA and RSOBHD professionals.
- All spectators must have proper credentialing to enter the “Highland Dance Viewing” area.
- Spectators will have a designated entry and exit for traffic flow.
- Masks must be worn at all times by all spectators when not sitting in your 'pod/family'. Extra masks will be available.
General Competition Rules and Regulations
- All dancing events will be governed by the rules and regulations of the Royal Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing (RSOBHD).
- All dancers must compete in their own category and age group based upon their age as of July 8, 2022 for all competitions.
- Dancers will retain the same category status over the 3-day event.
- Dancers will compete in reverse order of entry received.
- Where noted, the organizers will determine age groups according to the number of entries.
- The organizer reserves the right to combine, split, or delete classes on the day of the competition.
- Dancers reporting late for their dance may not be allowed to dance.
- Dancers must present a valid 2022 ScotDance USA registration card at the time of registration.
- Judges may not adjudicate any competitor that they have instructed for a period of three months. If a competitor has entered a competition with a judge with whom they have attended a class or workshop within the last three months, the dancer must step down from the competition.
- Any complaint made by an individual against the organizer or adjudication of an event must be made in writing giving the complainant’s full name and address and lodged with the Organizer, if possible, on the day of the event and certainly not later than 48 hours after the event. Such complaints must be accompanied by a fee of $25. The deposit shall be returned should the complaint be upheld.
Solo Choreography Rules
- Solo choreographies will be divided in Beginner/Novice and Intermediate/Premier groups.
- Solo choreography will be divided into age groups based upon entries received.
- Solo choreography is a maximum of 2 minutes including entrances and exits.
- Music for choreography events will be timed. Judges will be notified of overage. The penalty is a disqualification.
- Individuals may use props during their performance; either static or non-static provided they do not require set-up or takedown. Live animals are not permitted.
- The Celtic music must be on a digital device with a wired connection or on a CD. Backups are recommended.
- Per RSOBHD rules, music may include vocal or percussion selections, but in all cases must be predominantly Scottish or Celtic in style.
The Pat & Steve Johnston Spirit of the Dance Award is a perpetual trophy to be given by the GMHG. The winner is to be chosen by the judges. The recipient should be the dancer who best embodies the spirit and joy of highland dancing. This dancer should also captivate the audience and fill them with the joy of dance.
- Pre-Premier, Restricted Premier, Solo Choreography & Premier age groups split per entries received.
- Pre-Premier, Restricted Premier &Premier (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) - One trophy per group (No trophy for Primary)
- Best Premier Dancer Saturday (Premier) – Saturday (aggregate + **)
- Best Premier Dancer – overall 2 days (aggregate-Sat/Sun +**)
- Most Promising Beginner Dancer - Saturday (Judge’s choice)
- Most Promising Novice Dancer – Sunday (Judge’s choice)
- Best JR/SR Carolina Dancer (Premier) - (Choreography/aggregate-Sat/Sun +**) SPONSORED BY CLAN JOHNSTON/E IN AMERICAS
- Best Male Dancer (one for each PrePremier BEG/NOV/INT) - overall 2 days
- (aggregate-Saturday/Sunday - no minimum)
- Best Male Dancer (Premier)–overall 2 days (aggregate-Saturday/Sun/no min day)
- SPIRIT OF THE DANCE / Pat & Steve Johnston Memorial (Premier - Judge’s choice)
(+** requires a minimum of 6 in the age group all 3 days)
Before registration please read all rules and regulations above.
You will be asked to provide the following information when registering:
- Dancer’s Name (First / Last) Name
- Zip Code
- Dancer/Parent’s E-mail Address
- Phone Number
- # in “family” requiring entry into the restricted “Highland Dance Viewing” area. (See Spectator Rules)
- Teacher(s) Name(s) and Dance School
- Teacher(s) E-mail Address(es)
- Dancer Age (as of July 9, 2022)
- Dancer Date of Birth
- Category: Primary/Beginner/Novice/Intermediate/Premier
- Sign the Waiver
Sanctioned by and conducted under the rules of the Royal Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing (RSOBHD)
FUSTA Competition Registration Number: USSE 0405
Dance Committee: Bridget Boswell, Jo Kalat, Amy Mooney & Mary Recknagel
- Friday - Steven MacRae
- Saturday/Sunday – Kyla Groeschel, Kitty Hart Macnaughton, & Steven MacRae
Pipers: John Recknagel and Doug Frobese
You will be required to agree with the following waivers to complete all dancer registrations:
By proceeding with this online registration, I agree to the following:
I am aware that participating in the 2022 GMHG Atlantic International Championship/Competition(s) (the “Event”) involves the potential for risks, dangers and hazards, including but not limited to:
(a) injury to myself/my child as a result of the physical nature of dance competition and performance; and
(b) the taking and/or release of unauthorized photographs, video and/or other recordings of myself and/or my child.
In consideration of my/my child’s participation in the Event and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is acknowledged, I do hereby, for myself, my heirs, assigns, executors, and administrators, waive and release all rights and claims for damages I may have against the SDUSA, its directors, agents, employees, executive members, volunteers and organizers of the Event (the “Releasees”), Grandfather Mountain Highland Games/Lees MacRae Meadow, the Royal Scottish Official Board of Highland Dance (RSOBHD) and all its agents or representatives, for any/all injuries suffered by me or any member of my family or group at any/all events to be held.
In particular, but without limiting the foregoing, I agree to release the Releasees from ANY AND ALL LIABILITY for any loss, damage, injury, or expense I / my child may incur as a result of my/my child’s participation in or attendance at the Event.
I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Releasees from ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, INJURY OR EXPENSE, including legal costs, that the Releasees may incur due to my/my child’s participation in or attendance at the Event, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, and whether caused to my child or otherwise.
I understand that the Releasees will photograph and otherwise record the Event, its participants and attendees.
I consent to and authorize such recording. I further consent to authorize the Releasees to publish my/my child’s image, likeness and information in any medium, including but not limited to photographs, videos, DVDs, and webcasts.
I understand that this publication will take place in the public domain, including in printed materials, public announcements, and on the internet.
I specifically consent to the public release of the following information:
1. Name; 2. Country of Residence; 3. Results.
I acknowledge that by signing and submitting this entry, electronically or otherwise, that I have read this agreement carefully and fully understand it, and I agree to all the above terms and conditions. FUSTA/ScotDance USA (the “Organizers”) reserve the right to cancel the Event, or any part thereof, at any time if the Organizers deem such cancellation to be necessary due to events beyond its control or should it become necessary to cancel the Event at the Organizers’ sole discretion (the “Cancellation”).
The Organizers shall not be responsible to any purchaser and/or attendees for any direct or indirect financial loss caused as a result of the Cancellation including, but not limited to, airfare, hotel deposits, entry fees, and tickets.
The purchaser and/or attendees agree to indemnify and save harmless the Organizers from all claims arising from the Cancellation.
I acknowledge the contagious nature of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and that the CDC and many other public health authorities still recommend practicing social distancing.
I further acknowledge that ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and the RSOBHD has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
I further acknowledge that ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and the RSOBHD cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with the Coronavirus/Covid-19.
I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to and/or infected by the Coronavirus/COVID-19 may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to other event participants and their families.
I voluntarily seek to participate with events provided by ScotDance USA and acknowledge that I am increasing my risk of exposure to the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
I acknowledge that I must comply with all set procedures to reduce the spread while attending the event.
I attest that:
* I am not experiencing any symptoms of illness such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell.
* I do not believe I have been exposed to someone with a suspected and/or confirmed case of the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
* I have not been diagnosed with Coronavirus/Covid-19 and not yet cleared as non contagious by state or local public health authorities.
* I am following all CDC recommended guidelines as much as possible and limiting my exposure to the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
I hereby release and agree to hold ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and the RSOBHD harmless from, and waive on behalf of myself, my heirs, and any personal representatives any and all causes of action, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses and compensation for damage or loss to myself and/or property that may be caused by any act, or failure to act of the organization, or that may otherwise arise in any way in connection with any events from ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain and the RSOBHD.
I understand that this release discharges ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and the RSOBHD from any liability or claim that I, my heirs, or any personal representatives may have against the organization with respect to any bodily injury, illness, death, medical treatment, or property damage that may arise from, or in connection to, any services received from ScotDance USA.
This liability waiver and release extends to ScotDance USA, Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and the RSOBHD together with all organizational volunteers.